Mirrored off the classic Down River Sprint, the Maui Jim SUP Surf Sprint presented by C4 Waterman is a race against the clock in the heart of Vail on Gore Creek. Anyone up for the challenge will run this 3-mile stretch of Gore Creek from East Vail to Vail Village SUP style. Competitors must stand strong because snow melt from the nearby Gore Range makes for icy waters while navigating the class II/III course. Mix in a handful of low bridges, drops and wave trains as paddlers battle it out in the SUP’ing of Gore Creek.
This event is part of the GNC Ultimate Mountain Challenge powered by GoalZero
* Note UMC competitors must compete in the SUP Sprint OR Down River Sprint, not both.
June 4, 2011
TIME & CATEGORIES:
9:30am – (Start)
$35 Online/$40 On-Site
1st – $750
2nd – $500
3rd – $250
Organizers reserve the right to change/alter these prizes
Part of the GNC Ultimate Mountain Challenge powered by GoalZero.
* UMC Competitors must compete in the SUP Sprint OR Down River Sprint, not both.
You must drop off your board in Vail Village on Friday evening. You and your gear will then be shuttled to the put in on Saturday morning. There is no parking at the put in.
There is NO day-of registration for this race. All interested athletes must pre-register on the event website @ www.tevamountaingames.com. Athletes may also register on-site at the registration area on Friday, the day before the race. Organizers will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, or misdirected registrations or for registrations not received for any reason, including, without limitation, failure or malfunction of any communications network or equipment or computer software or hardware.
All athletes, even those pre-registering on-line must sign liability and release waivers when checking in to receive their number. All athletes must check in for their event on Friday, June 3rd from 4:30pm – 7:00pm.
Following registration all athletes are required to drop off their Boards to event staff from 4:30pm to 7pm on June 3rd. The Board drop off will be located next to the information center on the top level of the Vail Village Parking Structure.
All athletes must be present at check in to receive their number. Numbers will NOT be given to friends, coaches or family members.
There is no parking available at the put in location. Please arrange to be dropped off or take the Surf Sprint Shuttle. The designated Shuttle will be running from the Vail Village Parking Structure from 6:30am to 9:30am.
A mandatory athlete meeting will start at 9:30am on site the morning of the race.
HOW TO ENTER:
The race section is a three (3) mile stretch of river that has several Class II and III rapids that will require advanced S.U.P. skills. You should be able to paddle your board in a straight line and be able to make quick adjustments to avoid obstacles. You must be a competent swimmer and we strongly recommend practice runs before race day.
Open Men, Open Women
1) Board length: 12′ 6″ or smaller. Due to the unique put-in location, all boards must be given to event staff at registration on Friday, the day before the race between 4:30pm – 7:00pm. There is no parking available at the put-in. Please take the shuttle from the Vail Village Parking Structure or arrange for a friend to drop you off.
2) Required Gear: Life Jacket, helmet, protective footwear, and a full leg wetsuit.
3) No Leashes.
4) Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFDs at all times. For athletes that place on the podium, we ask that you wear your competitor bib.
5) For additional information on the stretch of river or wet suite rental, Alpine Quest Sports has a wealth of knowledge. They can be reached at 970-926-3867.
1) The race start line / put-in is located in East Vail on Aspen Lane. Due to the unique location, there is no parking at this location. The finish line is three (3) miles downstream at the Covered Bridge in Vail Village.
2) The race is a time trial format. Athletes will begin the race in thirty (30) second intervals and starting positions will be determined by registration date. At the check-in, athletes will sign waivers and go through a gear check. Special requests for start times will not be accepted. Athletes must adhere to the start position he/she is given.
3) Athletes must be ready to go and start in the designated starting spot or they will be disqualified. The race starter will give each athlete a 30 second warning, 10 second warning and begin the start countdown at five (5). On “go”, athletes will be released onto to race course. Finish times will be recorded when the athletes cross the finish line.
ADDITIONAL RULES & REGULATIONS:
DIRECTIONS TO PUT-IN:
From Vail Village: head east on South Frontage Road about three (3) miles. Take right on Aspen Lane. This road is located right before you go under the highway. Put-in is located at end of Aspen Lane
The competition is open to all interested athletes regardless of state and/or country of residency. Competitors who are under the age of 18 must register with a parent or legal guardian. Competitors must be able to attend all scheduled events. Athletes will be required to provide all their own equipment. Further, athletes must abide by all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations during their participation in the Teva Mountain Games®.
Athletes agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of Organizers. Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any persons found tampering with, or otherwise abusing, any aspect of the competition as solely determined by Organizers.
Organizers will appoint judges and the decision of those judges will be final. There will be no review of scoring / timing even with the presence of TV cameras. Disputes with Organizers and/or appointed judges will result in disqualification of that athlete.
RESERVATION OF RIGHTS:
Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any athlete for any reason, including, without limitation, acting in an unsafe, unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and/or with intent to intimidate, threaten or harass, or harm another person. All decisions with respect to the disqualification of an athlete shall be made by Organizers and/or appointed judges. Failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may result in an athlete’s disqualification and the forfeiture of his/her interest in any prize. Organizers reserve the right to amend these Official Rules at any time in its sole discretion, and athletes shall have no recourse for any such changes or for any failure (whether inadvertent or otherwise) by Organizers to follow the stated rules. In the event that the competition is canceled prior to the completion of the final event, no prizes will be awarded. If the Tournament is cancelled prior to June 1st, for any reason, athletes will be reimbursed only for his/her entry fee. Athletes will not be otherwise compensated for any costs or expenses associated with their participation in the competition.